On the hottest day of the year a few of The Academy Family drove to old JKD Friend Laurence Sandum's Black Belt Academy in Chelmsford to train with Rickson Gracie/Pedro Sauer Black Belt, Alan Manganello.
We first met Alan earlier in the year at Professor Sauers Seminar back in Feb. After catching up with Alan and some of the other Students we began with an excellent Warm up. Alan pointed out, the drills are all related to specific moves within Gracie Jiu Jitsu and the material would focus in the main on Blue Belt Techniques for the majority of White Belts on the mats. However, I learnt something from the first move! A lovely detail in countering the basic hip throw. So, on to the Techniques:
- Two handed choke defence - Bob & Weave into Side Kick, Elbow or "Touch & Go" Clinch
- Two handed choke defence Vs aggressive driving opponent - Hip throw
- T-Clinch into Leg-Hook Take down to Mount
- T-Clinch into Hip Heist to Knee on Belly
- Vale-tudo Guard breakdown
- Elevator Sweep from Vale-tudo Guard (retaining head control not pummeling arm underneath)
- Double Ankle Sweep - Knee thrust Variation to Arm bar
- Basic Arm Bar from Guard (some great details re angles etc)
- Guard Sparring
Alan throughout, encouraged questions and shared details on a lot more material (e.g Arm inside sweep), always with good humour and passion.
It was a superb Seminar and i for one never tire of training the core essentials. As our own Professor Marc always states, "the basics, are the advanced techniques!"
Many thanks to Alan, Laurence for hosting, and all my training/sparring partners.
Next Seminar: Professor Marc at Dartford BJJ Aug 30th!